Narrative (naratif, dongeng)
a. Tujuan Komunikatif Teks (Communicative Purpose)
Menghibur pendengar/pembaca (To entertain reader/listener). Teks bertalian dengan pengalaman nyata, khayal/ peristiwa pelik yang mengarah ke suatu krisis, yang pada akhirnya menemukan penyelesaian.
b. Struktur Teks (Text Structure)
§ Orientation (pengenalan tokoh, waktu, dan tempat)
§ Complication (pengembangan konflik)
c. Ciri kebahasaan menggunakan:
- Nouns (kata benda) tertentu sebagai kata ganti orang, hewan dan benda tertentu dalam cerita misalnya stepsister (saudara tiri), housework (pekerjaan rumah tangga), dsb.
- Adjectives (kata sifat) yang membentuk noun phrase, misalnya long white hair, two red apple, dsb.
- Time connectives dan conjunction untuk mengurutkan kejadian-kejadian, misalnya the next morning, then, before, that, soon, dsb.
- Adverbs untuk menunjukan lokasi kejadian/peristiwa, misalnya here, happily ever after, dsb.
- Action verbs dalam past tense seperti stayed, climed, saw dsb.
- Saying verbs yang menandai ucapan seperti said, told, promised, dan thinking verbs yang menandai pikiran, persepsi atau perasaan tokoh dalam cerita, misalnya thought, understood, felt, dsb.
d. Contoh teks narrative
Once upon a time, there lived a little girl named Snow White. She lived with her uncle and Aunt because her parents were dead.
One day, she heard her Uncle and Aunt talking about leaving her in the castle because they both wanted to go to America and they didn’t have enough money to take her.
Snow White didn’t want her Uncle and Aunt to do this so she decides it would be best if she ran away. The next morning she ran away from home when her Aunt and Uncle were having breackfast. She ran away into the woods.
Then, she saw this little cottage. She knocked but no one answered so she went inside and fell sleep.
Meanwhile, the seven dwarfs were coming home from work. They went inside. There they found Snow White sleeping. Then, she woke up. She saw the dwarfs. The dwarf said, “What is your name?” She said, “My name is Snow White.”
Doc, one of the dwarfs, said, “If you wish, you may live here with us. She said, “Oh could I? Thank you.” Then she told the dwarfs the whole story, and she and the seven dwarfs lived happily ever after.